On 18 December 2022, Argentina beat France 4-2 on penalties to win the 2022 FIFA World Cup at the Lusail Stadium in Doha, Qatar.
- Argentina raced into a two-goal lead through Lionel Messi and Angel Di Maria in first half. After completion of first half (45 Minutes) score was 2-0.
- In Second half Kylian Mbappe score two goals for France in spectacular fashion. The score was 2-2 after 90 minutes when extra time began.
- During extra time, Argentine star Lionel Messi scored a goal, and a few minutes later France answered back. After completion of extra time the score was 3-3 draw.
- The duel continued with penalty kicks as both teams made goals on the first of their five penalty kicks. France missed kicks No. 2 and 3; Argentina made both of those kicks. The pressure was palpable as France kept its hopes alive by making kick No. 4. But the decisive move came from Argentina’s Gonzalo Montiel, who sank in kick No. 4, which sealed Argentina’s victory.
- Argentina has won three World Cups : in 1978, 1986 and 2022. Argentina was also the runner-up three times : in 1930, 1990 and 2014.
- The win marks Argentina’s third-ever World Cup victory and first since 1986.
- Argentina has played 88 matches in 18 World Cup tournaments, with 47 wins. The team was present at all but four World Cups, trailing only Brazil and Germany in the number of appearances.