- The devastating earthquake that occurred on 6 February in Turkey caused massive devastation.
- Hundreds of buildings were razed to the ground due to several powerful tremors one after the other. In which more than 15,000 people died. Thousands of people have been injured who have been admitted to hospitals.
- 3 earthquakes measuring 7.8, 7.6 and 6.0 on the Richter scale hit different regions of Turkey and neighboring Syria.
- The epicenter was 26 km east of the Turkish city of Nurdagi on the East Anatolian Fault at a depth of about 18 km.
- The earthquake moved northeast, causing devastation in central Turkey and Syria. It is the most powerful earthquake to shake the region in more than 100 years.
- About 95% of the country’s territory is sensitive to earthquakes. The major cities of Istanbul and Izmir and the region of Eastern Anatolia are at high risk.
Operation Dost :
In this hour of crisis, the Government of India has extended a helping hand towards Turkey. This campaign is being run on the basis of humanity under Operation Dost from the Indian side. Medical help is being provided not only to Turkey by the Government of India. Rather, three teams of NDRF themselves have been sent for relief and rescue. To help the people, the Indian Army (Indian Army Turkey Earthquake) has also set up an army field hospital in Hete city of Turkey. People injured by the earthquake are being treated here.