Road Transport and Highways Minister Nitin Gadkari informed on 6 July 2023, that the draft notification to mandate the installation of air-conditioning systems in the cabins of trucks has been approved by Government.
- The draft includes trucks under categories N2 and N3.
- This decision aims to provide comfortable working conditions for truck drivers, improve their efficiency, and address the issue of driver fatigue.
- The installation of air-conditioned cabins for trucks will soon be made mandatory.
N1, N2 and N3 categories of trucks
- Category N1: having a maximum mass not exceeding 3.5 tonnes (7,700 lb)
- Category N2: having a maximum mass exceeding 3.5 tonnes but not exceeding 12 tonnes (26,000 lb)
- Category N3: having a maximum mass exceeding 12 tonnes.
Q.: Which categories of trucks are included in the draft notification?
a) N1 and N2
b) N2 and N3
c) N3 and N4
d) N4 and N5
Answer: b) N2 and N3