India wins the Asian Champions Trophy 2023 hockey tournament with a thrilling comeback victory over Malaysia. The final took place at the Mayor Radhakrishnan Stadium in Chennai on August 12.
- India’s victory marks their record fourth title in the tournament, surpassing Pakistan’s three titles.
- India had previously defeated Japan 5-0 in the semi-final, while Malaysia had beaten South Korea 3-2 in a penalty shootout after a 2-2 draw.
- Malaysia took an early lead through a penalty corner goal by Shahril Saabah, but India equalized with a drag-flick by Harmanpreet Singh.
- Malaysia regained the lead through a field goal by Firhan Ashari, extending it further with another penalty corner goal by Shahril Saabah.
- India narrowed the gap with a field goal by Mandeep Singh.
- India dominated the third quarter and leveled the score at 3-3 with a field goal by Dilpreet Singh.
- India secured the winning goal in the 58th minute through a brilliant field goal by Akashdeep Singh.
- India’s captain, Harmanpreet Singh, was named the player of the tournament, while Dilpreet Singh was awarded the emerging player of the tournament.
- Goalkeeper PR Sreejesh was recognized as the best goalkeeper of the tournament.
- The victory also elevated India to the third position in the FIH rankings, trailing behind Belgium and Australia.
- India’s next focus will be the FIH Hockey World Cup 2024, scheduled to take place in India from January 13 to February 5.
Q.: India wins Asian Champions Trophy 2023 in Hockey. Who was India’s opponent in the final?
d) South Korea
Ans : c) Malaysia