- National Disaster Response Force Raising Day is observed annually on 19 Jan. National Disaster Response Force Raising (NDRF) was formed on this day in 2006.
- National Disaster Response Force Raising is a specialized, multi-skilled, humanitarian force in India, playing a vital role in the country’s disaster management & community awareness for disaster risk reduction.
- For the first time last year, a batch of 100 women disaster fighters & rescue workers were trained as full-fledged rescue teams by the NDRF on the banks of river Ganga in Garhmukteshwar town of Hapur district of U. P.
- Each National Disaster Response Force Raising battalion has a sanctioned strength of 108 women fighters.
- The Disaster Management Act came into force on 26 Dec 2005 due to continuous natural calamities from 1990 – 2004.
- The National Disaster Response Force was formed to lay down plans, policies & guidelines for disaster management.
- India has initiated efforts in the form of ‘Coalition for Disaster Resilient Infrastructure’.
Source: Prime Minister’s Office