First phase of Kanpur Metro Rail was inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 28 December 202. The highlight of this project are given below.
Main Points of Kanpur Metro
- The First Phase completed 9 km long section from IIT-Kanpur to Moti Jheel area in Kanpur city has been inaugurated by PM Narendra Modi.
- He inspected the Kanpur Metro Rail Project and took a metro ride from the IIT metro station to Geeta Nagar.
- The entire length of the project in Kanpur is 32 km and is being built at a cost of over Rs 11,000 crore.
- The work on Kanpur Metro started on November 15, 2019.
- Daily commercial operations will begin from December 31, 2021.
- The European Investment Bank (EIB) has proposed to invest 650 million euro in Kanpur Metro, its second-biggest operation outside the EU till date. EIB is the European Union’s official bank and the world’s largest international public bank. The EIB had earlier sanctioned a 450 million euro loan for the development of Lucknow Metro.