After the Union Budget 2023-2024, Ashwini Vaishnav, Railway Minister said that the allocation of nearly Rs 2.40 lakh crore to Railways will help in taking forward the railway infrastructure projects in the country. He further stated that :
- 1,275 stations are being redeveloped under the ‘Amrit Bharat Station’ scheme. The production of Vande Bharat trains will be given a facelift.
- Among the major railway projects, the world’s highest single-arch railway bridge is currently being constructed over the Chenab river.
- Operation of Delhi-Meerut rapid train will start in the year 2025.
- Work is currently underway on several projects including the Mumbai-Ahmedabad Bullet Train.
- The country will have hydrogen-powered passenger trains by December 2023. The hydrogen train will come by December 2023 and will be designed and manufactured in India. Firstly, it will run on heritage circuit like Kalka-Shimla and later it will be extended to other places.