New Delhi, 12 February 2022
- On 12 Feb 2022, Union Minister for Social Justice & Empowerment Dr. Virendra Kumar launched the Central Sector scheme “SMILE: Support for Marginalised Individuals for Livelihood & Enterprise” at BHIM Auditorium, Dr. Ambedkar International Centre 15 Janpath Road, New Delhi.
- This umbrella scheme, designed by Department of Social Justice & Empowerment, is set to provide welfare & rehabilitation to the Transgender community and the people engaged in the act of begging.
- The two sub-schemes of SMILE – ‘Central Sector Scheme for Comprehensive Rehabilitation for Welfare of Transgender Persons’ and ‘Central Sector Scheme for Comprehensive Rehabilitation of engaged in the act of Begging’ – provide comprehensive welfare and rehabilitation measures to the Transgender community and the people engaged in act of begging.
- The scheme keeps in mind the social security that is needed through multiple dimensions of identity, medical care, education, occupational opportunities & shelter. The Ministry has allocated Rs. 365 Crore for the scheme from 2021-22 to 2025-26.
- Pilot projects on Comprehensive Rehabilitation in 10 cities namely Delhi, Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad, Indore, Lucknow, Mumbai, Nagpur, Patna, Ahmedabad