- Swachh Bharat Mission was launched in 2014 by the Hon’ble Prime Minister to improve access and availability of sanitation and waste management infrastructure.
- Over the past eight years, crores of citizens have participated in the Swachh Bharat Mission and transformed this government program into a people’s mission.
- Under SBM-Urban 2.0, lakhs of young people have led the rally for garbage-free beaches, hills, and tourist places.
- As part of the ongoing Swachhotsav 2023 campaign, the Mission is set to mobilize citizens from over 2,800 cities as part of the ‘Swachh Mashaal March’ from 28 to 31 March 2023 to spread awareness regarding the idea of a ‘Garbage Free City’.
- The Mashaal March will facilitate ward mobilization in nearly 3,000 cities and will be led by women changemakers, SHG members, social influencers, as well as political representatives.
- The Mashaal March aims to spread awareness regarding zero waste, source segregation, and composting in their neighborhoods.
- Several cities will be organizing ward-wide cleanliness drives and zero waste events to commemorate the International Day of Zero Waste on 30th March.
- Citizens will be encouraged to pledge their efforts towards making their city garbage-free.
Questions : What is the objective of the ‘Swachh Mashaal March’ under the Swachhotsav 2023 campaign?
A) To promote the use of single-use plastic items
B) To spread awareness about the importance of composting
C) To encourage open defecation
D) To spread awareness about the idea of a ‘Garbage Free City’
Answer: D) To spread awareness about the idea of a ‘Garbage Free City’