- The Mars Orbiter Mission (MOM) – a technology demonstration enterprise – is the 1st interplanetary mission of the National Space Agency, Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO).
- India’s Mars Orbiter Craft has completed eight years in its orbit, well ahead of its designed mission life of six months. However, further plans on the ‘Mangalyaan’ mission to the Red Planet are yet to be confirmed.
- It was launched on 5th November 2013 and the probe was successfully inserted into the orbit of Mars on its first attempt on 24th September 2014.
- It is India’s 1st interplanetary mission and the 4th space agency to achieve Mars orbit. India became the 1st Asian country to reach Mars orbit and the 1st country in the world to reach Mars in its first attempt.
Science and Technology Current Affairs
Science and Technology, Important Development for Competitive Exams.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched 5G services at a function at Pragati Maidan in New Delhi on 1st October.
- 5G technology will provide seamless coverage, high data rates, low latency and highly reliable communication, It will also increase energy efficiency, spectrum efficiency & network efficiency.
- PM Modi said that the launch of 5G services is a gift from the telecom industry to 130 crore Indians and a step towards a new era, and also the beginning of endless opportunities.
- The direct contribution of 5G to the Indian economy is estimated to be $450 billion over the next 15 years.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi also inspected an exhibition at Pragati Maidan. He also announced the opening of the 6th edition of the Indian Mobile Congress (IMC), which is being held on October 4 with the theme of New Digital Universe.
- DRDO has conducted two successful test flights of Very Short Range Air Defense System missiles.
- The test flight was conducted on 27th September at the Integrated Test Range in Chandipur, Odisha.
- Very Short Range Air Defense System is a man portable air defense system, designed and developed by DRDO in collaboration with Indian industry partners.
- The missile is designed to neutralize low altitude air threats over short ranges. The design of the missile including the launcher has been highly optimized to ensure easy portability.
- The Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) successfully test-fired a hybrid motor.
- The 30 kN hybrid motor that was tested at ISRO Propulsion Complex (IPRC) in Mahendragiri, Tamil Nadu on 20th September is scalable and stackable.
- The test was supported by the Liquid Propulsion Systems Center (LPSC) of ISRO.
- Liquid oxygen (LOX) acts as the oxidizer and hydroxyl-terminated polybutadiene (HTPB) serves as the fuel for the motor.
- The Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO) and the Indian Army have successfully completed six flight tests of the Quick Reaction Surface-to-Air Missile (QRSAM) system from the Integrated Test Range (ITR) Chandipur off the Odisha coast.
- The flight tests were conducted by the Indian Army as part of the evaluation trials.
- Flight tests were carried out on high-speed targets. These targets were designed for the type of actual threat, to assess the capability of the weapon systems in a variety of situations.
- This included long-range and medium-altitude targets, short-range targets, high-altitude targets, and targets that were not easily detectable on radar.
- The system performance was also evaluated under day & night operation scenarios.
Qns : Where is successfully completed 6 flight tests of the Quick Reaction Surface-to-Air Missile?
Ans : The Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO) and the Indian Army have successfully completed six flight tests of the Quick Reaction Surface-to-Air Missile (QRSAM) system from the Integrated Test Range (ITR) Chandipur off the Odisha coast.
Inflatable Aerodynamic Deceleration (IAD) was successfully test fired by the ISRO. The IAD will be used to land payloads on Mars or Venus in the future.
- The Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) has successfully demonstrated a new technology with the Inflatable Aerodynamic Decelerator (IAD).
- Designed and developed by ISRO’s Vikram Sarabhai Space Center (VSSC), the IAD is a game-changer with many applications for future missions including Mars and Venus.
- The IAD was successfully test-fired in a ‘Rohini’ sounding rocket from Thumba Equatorial Rocket Launching Station.
- The IAD was initially folded and placed inside the rocket’s payload bay. At an altitude of about 84 km, the IAD was inflated and it descended through the atmosphere with the payload portion of a sounding rocket.
- NASA’s Artemis 1 moon rocket, formerly known as Exploration Mission-1, returned to the launch pad on the night of 29th August to take a step closer to a historic lunar mission.
- On 29 August 2022, NASA intends to launch its brand new Space Launch System (SLS) with the Orion spacecraft, which is designed to host astronauts sitting above the rocket.
- This will be a significant milestone in the space agency’s initiative to return humans to the surface of the Moon for the 1st time since 1972.
- Before returning to Earth for a splashdown in the Pacific Ocean, the SLS giant rocket will propel the crew capsule around the Moon farther than any spacecraft built for humans.
A space industry start-up named Digantara will build India’s 1st commercial space situational awareness observatory in Uttarakhand’s Garhwal region, which will track objects as small as 10 cm in size orbiting the planet.
- India’s 1st commercial space situational awareness observatory, to track objects as small as 10 cm in size orbiting the Earth, will be set up by space sector start-up Digantara in Uttarakhand’s Garhwal region.
- The Space Situational Awareness (SSA) observatory will help India track any activity in space, including space debris & military satellites hovering over the region.
- The United States (US) is a major player in space debris monitoring with observatories at multiple locations and commercial companies providing additional input from around the world.
Qns : Where is India’s 1st observatory to monitor space activity?
Ans : India’s 1st commercial space situational awareness observatory, to track objects as small as 10 cm in size orbiting the Earth, will be set up by space sector start-up Digantara in Uttarakhand’s Garhwal region.
- Space Kidz India hoisted the Indian flag about 30 km above the planet on Independence Day, 15th August 2022.
- The flag was flown on a balloon to an altitude of 106000 feet above the planet that hoisted it.
- The event was part of the slogan of Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav and as part of the “Har Ghar Tiranga Abhiyan” launched by PM Narendra Modi to celebrate the historic anniversary.
- Space Kids India is an organization that “young scientists for the country & spreading awareness among children for a borderless world.’
Qns : Who hoisted the Indian flag 30 km above the earth on the occasion of 15th August?
Ans : Space Kidz India hoisted the Indian flag about 30 km above the planet on Independence Day, 15th August 2022.
- Tech giant Microsoft has announced that it is introducing Viva Engage.
- The new app in Teams that helps build community and connections while simultaneously providing tools for personal expression.
- Built on the foundation of Yammer, Viva Engage brings people from across the organization together to connect with leaders and colleagues, find answers to questions, share their unique stories, and find belonging at work.
- Microsoft Viva is designed to give employees the many roles and tasks they need to feel connected – no matter when or where they work.
Qns : Tech giant Microsoft introduced Viva Engage App, What is Viva Engage App?
Ans : Viva Engage a new app in Teams that helps build community & connection, along with providing tools for personal expression.