- A Russian rocket has successfully launched an Iranian satellite into orbit from southern Kazakhstan.
- An Iranian satellite named Khayyam in orbit by a Soyuz rocket from Russia’s leased Baikonur launch facility in Kazakhstan.
- The satellite was named after the Persian scientist Omar Khayyam, who lived in the 11th and 12th centuries.
- The satellite equipped with a high-resolution camera will be used for environmental monitoring and will be completely under its control.
International Current Affairs
International Current Affairs for competitive Exams.
- Indian Air Force contingent left for Malaysia on 12th August to participate in a bilateral exercise called Udarashakti.
- This is the 1st bilateral exercise being conducted between the Indian Air Force and the Royal Malaysian Air Force (RMAF).
- The Indian Air Force is participating in the aerial exercise with Sukhoi-30 MKI and C-17 aircraft while the RMAF will fly Su-30 MKM aircraft.
- The Indian contingent left one of its airports directly for its destination, the RMAF base in Kuantan.
- The 13th edition of Indo-US joint special forces exercise “Purva Vajra Prahar 2022” began at the Special Forces Training School in Bakloh, Himachal Pradesh on 8th August.
- The Vajra Prahar series of joint exercises aims to share best practices and experiences in areas such as joint mission planning and operational strategy as well as improve inter-operability between the special forces of the 2 nations.
- This annual exercise is conducted alternately between India & United States (US).
- The 12th edition was held in October 2021 at Joint Base Lewis McCord, Washington (USA).
- President of Maldives Ibrahim Mohamed Solih has invited Indian industry to invest in Maldives.
- Addressing the India-Maldives Business Forum in Mumbai on the evening of 3 August, he said that Maldives has investment opportunities in various sectors apart from tourism and Indian entrepreneurs should invest more in Maldives.
- President Solih is currently on a four-day visit to India at the invitation of PM Narendra Modi.
- India and the US will conduct a fortnight-long mega military exercise at Auli in Uttarakhand in October 2022.
- The 18th edition of Exercise “Yudh Abhyas” is scheduled to be held from 14th to 31th October.
- Several complex exercises are being planned for the mega exercise. The aim of the exercise is to enhance understanding, cooperation and interactivity between the two armies.
- The previous edition of the exercise took place in Alaska in the US in October 2021.
- The 4th edition of the India-Oman joint military exercise ‘Al Najah-IV’ between Indian Army and Royal Army contingents of Oman is being conducted from 1st to 13th August 2022 at the Foreign Training Node of Mahajan Field Firing Range (Rajasthan).
- A contingent of the Royal Army of Oman consisting of 60 personnel from the Parachute Regiment of the Sultan of Oman has reached the exercise site.
- Soldiers of the 18th Mechanized Infantry Battalion from the Indian Army participated in this exercise.
- The major activities of the 4rth edition of Exercise Al Najah include professional dialogue, mutual understanding of military exercises and practices, establishment of joint command and control structures and mitigation of terrorist threats.
- The third edition of the Vietnam-India bilateral military exercise “X VINBAX 2022” will begin at Chandimandir in Haryana on 1st August, It will run till 20th August.
- The exercise is a sequel to the bilateral exercise conducted earlier in Vietnam in 2019 and marks a major milestone in strengthening bilateral ties between India & Vietnam.
- India and Vietnam share a comprehensive strategic partnership and defense cooperation is a key pillar of this partnership.
- Vietnam is an important partner in India’s Act East policy and Indo-Pacific vision.
- The theme of Ex VINBAX – 2022 is the employment and deployment of an engineer company and a medical team as part of the UN team for peacekeeping operations.
- The Emir of Kuwait Sheikh Nawaf Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah has issued a decree appointing Sheikh Ahmad Nawaf Al Ahmed Al-Sabah as the new Prime Minister.
- The appointment of the new prime minister comes 3 months after former prime minister Sheikh Sabah al-Khalid Hamad al-Sabah submitted his resignation, the 4th in the past 2 and half years.
- In 2003 he served as Minister of Foreign Affairs and Acting Minister of Social Affairs and Labour.
- In early 2006, he was appointed Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs, and after only 4 months, he was reappointed to the same positions.
- He also held similar positions in the ministerial reshuffles of 2007, 2008 and 2009, in addition to taking over as caretaker of the oil ministry.
Qns : Who becomes the new Kuwait’s Prime Minister?
Ans : Sheikh Ahmad Nawaf Al Ahmed Al-Sabah becomes a new Kuwait’s Prime Minister.
- A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Namibia aims to bring back cheetahs to the country after nearly seven decades.
- The 1st eight cheetahs are expected to arrive in Kuno National Park in Madhya Pradesh by 15th August. Separately, India is estimated to have received twelve cheetahs from South Africa; According to officials familiar with the situation, a draft agreement has already been signed and a final settlement is being done.
- 69 years after the last known cheetah was hunted in Chhattisgarh in 1952, the animal will re-enter a wild enclosure in India.
- Environment, Forest and Climate Change Minister Bhupender Yadav and Namibian Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Netumbo Nandi Ndaitwa both signed the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU).
- SP Yadav, Member Secretary and Additional Director General, Project Tiger at NTCA, said that they are working to bring cheetahs to the country by 15th August to mark the country’s 75th Independence Day.
Qns : Which Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) has been signed by India and Namibia?
Ans : India and Namibia signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) for reintroduction of cheetahs into the historical range in India.
- The leaders of India, Israel, the UAE and the US have said that the inaugural I2U2 summit was focused on the food security crisis and clean energy.
- In a joint statement, I2U2 leaders said, innovative ways were discussed to ensure long-term, more diverse food production & food delivery systems that can better manage the global food shock.
- The UAE has announced an investment of $2 billion to develop a series of integrated food parks across India.
- These parks will incorporate cutting-edge climate-smart technologies to reduce food waste and spoilage, conserve fresh water and employ renewable energy sources. India will provide suitable land for the project and facilitate integration of farmers in food parks.
- Private sectors from the US and Israel will be invited to lend their expertise and provide innovative solutions that contribute to the overall sustainability of the project. These investments will help maximize crop yields and tackle food insecurity in South Asia and the Middle East.
Qns : Which countries was the 12U2 Summit held?
Ans : The leaders of India, Israel, the UAE and the US have said that the inaugural I2U2 summit was focused on the food security crisis and clean energy.