United Nations Day is celebrated on October 24th each year to mark the anniversary of the United Nations’ entry into force in 1945. Here are the main points about United Nations Day:
- Establishment of the United Nations: United Nations Day commemorates the day when the United Nations Charter came into effect. The United Nations was officially founded on October 24, 1945, following the conclusion of World War II.
- Global Peace and Cooperation: The United Nations was established with the primary objective of promoting international peace and security, fostering cooperation among nations, and addressing global challenges through diplomacy and multilateralism.
- Charter Signing: The UN Charter, which established the principles and structure of the United Nations, was signed by 51 countries in San Francisco on June 26, 1945. It came into force after being ratified by a majority of those signatory nations.
- International Cooperation: The United Nations is a global organization that provides a platform for countries to collaborate on issues such as conflict resolution, humanitarian aid, human rights, sustainable development, and climate change.
- United Nations Member States: The United Nations had 193 member states, making it one of the largest international organizations in the world.
MCQs on United Nations
Q.: When is United Nations Day celebrated?
a) November 24
b) October 24
c) December 24
d) September 24
Answer: b) October 24
Q.: What event does United Nations Day commemorate?
a) The signing of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights
b) The founding of the United Nations in 1935
c) The entry into force of the United Nations Charter in 1945
d) The first United Nations General Assembly session
Answer: c) The entry into force of the United Nations Charter in 1945
Q.: What is the primary objective of the United Nations?
a) Promoting global trade
b) Fostering cooperation among nations
c) Enforcing international law
d) Encouraging military conflicts
Answer: b) Fostering cooperation among nations
Q.: When was the UN Charter signed by 51 countries?
a) June 26, 1944
b) June 26, 1945
c) October 24, 1945
d) July 24, 1946
Answer: b) June 26, 1945
Q.: How many member states are part of the United Nations ?
Answer: d) 193
Q.: In which city was the United Nations Charter signed in 1945?
a) New York
b) San Francisco
c) Washington, D.C.
Answer: b) San Francisco
Q.: What is the official color associated with the United Nations and often used on United Nations Day?
Answer: c) Blue
Q.: Why was the United Nations founded after World War II?
a) To promote military alliances
b) To divide the world into zones of influence
c) To prevent future global conflicts and promote peace
d) To establish a global currency
Answer: c) To prevent future global conflicts and promote peace
Q.: Where is the primary headquarters of the United Nations located?
a) Geneva, Switzerland
b) New York City, USA
c) Vienna, Austria
d) London, United Kingdom
Answer: b) New York City, USA