Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) leader Ajit Pawar joined the Shiv Sena-BJP government in Maharashtra and became the Deputy Chief Minister on 2nd July 2023.
- The state will now have two Deputy Chief Ministers, with the other being BJP leader Devendra Fadnavis.
- Eight other NCP leaders also took oath as ministers along with Ajit Pawar.
- Ajit Pawar resigned as Leader of the Opposition after a meeting with NCP MLAs.
- Ajit Pawar expressed dissatisfaction after being denied the opportunity to work as the state unit chief of NCP.
- Chief Minister Eknath Shinde stated that the government is focused on the development of the state and highlighted Ajit Pawar’s belief in development.
- NCP Chief Sharad Pawar mentioned that party MLAs and senior leaders will discuss possible actions against the rebel leaders.
- Jitendra Awhad was appointed as the new Leader of the Opposition in the state Assembly.
Q: Who recently joined the Shiv Sena-BJP government in Maharashtra as the Deputy Chief Minister?
a) Devendra Fadnavis
b) Sharad Pawar
c) Ajit Pawar
d) Eknath Shinde
Answer: c) Ajit Pawar