Prime Minister Narendra Modi has inaugurated a 550-tonne capacity “Gobar-Dhan (Bio-CNG) Plant” in Indore, Madhya Pradesh, on 19 February 2022 through video conferencing.
What is Gobar-Dhan ?
Wet urban household waste and waste from cattle and farm is Gobar Dhan.
About Gobar-Dhan (Bio-CNG) Plant
- It has been set up at a cost of Rs 150 crore.
- This is the biggest Bio-CNG plant in Asia.
- The gobardhan plant is based on the concept of waste-to-wealth innovation.
- The plant is based on zero-landfill models, which means no rejects would be generated.
- The Indore Gober Dhan Bio CNG plant will produce around 17,000 kg per day of CNG, and 100 tonnes per day of organic compost.
Need and Benefits Bio CNG Plant?
- Lakhs of tonnes of garbage have occupied thousands of acres of land for decades across the country causing air and water pollution, the major reason behind the spread of diseases.
- Reduction in greenhouse gas emissions, providing green energy; and organic compost as fertiliser.
- It is proposed that such Gober Dhan Bio CNG plants will be established in 75 big Municipal bodies in coming two years.