During the 15th BRICS Summit’s open plenary session in Johannesburg on August 23, 2023, Modi praised BRICS for its significant achievements over approximately two decades.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi emphasized the need to make BRICS future-ready by preparing the respective societies for the future.
- He highlighted the importance of technology in achieving this goal.
- Modi called for the support of all BRICS countries to include the African Union in the G20.
- India suggested various ideas to reshape the BRICS agenda, including a railway research network, close cooperation among MSMEs (Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises), online BRICS databases, and support for start-up firms.
- PM Modi announced that India’s support for the expansion of BRICS
- Modi proposed collaboration with the BRICS Space Exploration Consortium, focusing on space research and weather monitoring.
Q.: In which South African city is the BRICS Summit 2023 being held?
b) Cape Town
Ans : a) Johannesburg