Raksha Mantri Rajnath Singh formally inducted the first C-295 MW transport aircraft at the Indian Air Force airbase in Hindan, Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh on 25 September 2023.
- The induction of the C-295 is expected to enhance the medium-lift tactical capability of the Indian Air Force.
- The C-295 is capable of taking off and landing from unprepared landing grounds and will replace the HS-748 Avro aircraft.
- Airbus is set to deliver the first 16 C-295 aircraft in fly-away condition from its final assembly line at Seville, while Tata Advanced Systems will manufacture and assemble the remaining 40 aircraft in India.
- All C-295 aircraft will be equipped with an indigenous Electronic Warfare Suite.
- The C-295 is designed for tactical transport, capable of carrying up to 71 troops or 50 paratroopers, and is suited for logistic operations in areas inaccessible to heavier aircraft.
- Raksha Mantri also inaugurated the two-day Bharat Drone Shakti-2023 event, which features participation from over 75 drone start-ups and companies.
- Bharat Drone Shakti-2023 aims to promote India’s goal of becoming a global drone hub by 2030 and is expected to have broad participation from various government departments, industries, armed forces, and friendly countries.
Q.: Who will manufacture and assemble the majority of the C-295 aircraft in India?
c) Tata Advanced Systems
d) Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL)
Ans : c) Tata Advanced Systems