Various entities, including banks, financial institutions, insurance companies, trading companies, and real estate companies, send commercial messages to telecom subscribers via SMS or voice calls. These entities are referred to as Principal Entities (Pes) in the Telecom Commercial Communications Customer Preference Regulations, 2018 (TCCCPR-2018).
- The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) has been taking measures to combat spam and unsolicited commercial communications (UCC). They issued a directive on 02.06.2023 under TCCCPR-2018 for Access Providers to develop and deploy a Digital Consent Acquisition (DCA) facility. This platform aims to create a unified process for customers to register their consent digitally with Access Service Providers and Principal Entities.
- The existing system has various Principal Entities maintaining consent data, making it challenging for Access Providers to verify the accuracy of consents. The DCA process allows for the seeking, maintenance, and revocation of customer consents, aligning with TCCCPR-2018 guidelines. The consent data will be shared on a Distributed Ledger Technology (DLT) Platform for scrubbing by all Access Providers.
- A common short code 127xxx will be used for sending consent-seeking messages. These messages must clearly state the purpose, scope of consent, and the Principal Entity/Brand name. Only whitelisted URLs, APKs, OTT links, and call-back numbers will be used in these messages. Consent confirmation messages will also provide information on revoking consent.
- Access Providers must develop an SMS/Online facility for customers to register their unwillingness to receive any consent-seeking messages from Principal Entities.
- It is emphasized that after implementing the DCA system, existing consents obtained through alternative means will become null and void. Principal Entities will need to obtain fresh consents through digital means only.
- Principal Entities are urged to take the necessary steps to onboard the DCA system within the timelines specified in the directive dated 02.06.2023. For further clarification or information, Principal Entities may contact the relevant Access Providers.
Q.: Who are referred to as Principal Entities (Pes) in the context of Telecom Commercial Communications Customer Preference Regulations, 2018 (TCCCPR-2018)?
A. Access Providers
B. Telecom subscribers
C. Message Senders like Banks, financial institutions, insurance companies, trading companies, and real estate companies etc.
D. Regulatory authorities
Ans : C. Message Senders like Banks, financial institutions, insurance companies, trading companies, and real estate companies etc.
Q.: What is the main objective of the Digital Consent Acquisition (DCA) facility mentioned in the directive by TRAI?
A. To enhance customer preference regulations
B. To combat spam and unsolicited commercial communications
C. To improve telecom infrastructure
D. To provide free access to telecom services
Ans : B. To combat spam and unsolicited commercial communications