Kargil Vijay Diwas is observed on July 26 annually to honor the soldiers who laid down their lives during the Kargil War.
- The day commemorates the victory of the Indian Armed Forces over Pakistan during the Kargil War, also known as ‘Operation Vijay’, which occurred between May and July 1999.
- The war was fought by the Indian Army against Pakistan in the Kargil sector of Jammu & Kashmir, which is now a part of Ladakh.
- After nearly three months of armed battles on the icy heights of Kargil, the Indian troops declared victory over the Pakistani rangers.
- The event will commence with a wreath-laying ceremony at the Kargil War Memorial in Drass.
- Dignitaries attending the Kargil Vijay Diwas at Drass include Raksha Mantri (Minister of Defence) Rajnath Singh, Chief of Defence Staff (CDS) Gen Anil Chauhan, three Service Chiefs, other top Army Commanders, and Lieutenant Governor of Ladakh Brig (Retd) BD Mishra, among others.
Q.: Which operation is celebrated as Kargil Vijay Diwas, observed on July 26 every year?
a) Operation Cactus
b) Operation Meghdoot
c) Operation Vijay
d) Operation Pawan
Ans : c) Operation Vijay