The Lok Sabha passed the Women’s Reservation Bill on September 20, 2023. The bill was introduced on the first day of proceedings in the new Parliament Building.
- The bill aims to provide 33% reservation to women in the Lok Sabha and state legislative assemblies.
- The bill received strong support with 454 votes in favor and only 2 against it.
- The implementation of the reservation is scheduled for 2029, following the delimitation of constituencies, which will be conducted after the next census.
- The bill is officially named the Constitution (One Hundred and Twenty-Eighth Amendment) Bill, also known as the Nari Shakti Vandan Adhiniyam.
- The next step is for the bill to be discussed and voted on in the Rajya Sabha.
Q.: What is the official name of the Women’s Reservation Bill?
a) Women’s Empowerment Bill
b) Gender Equality Bill
c) Nari Shakti Vandan Adhiniyam
d) Reservation for Women Act
Ans : c) Nari Shakti Vandan Adhiniyam