- The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) has decided to introduce 30% millets in the meals of personnel of Central Armed Police Forces (CAPFs) and National Disaster Response Force (NDRF).
- The decision was taken after detailed discussion with all the forces and on the clarion call of Union Home Minister and Minister of Cooperation Amit Shah.
- The forces have shown an overwhelming response and are eager to introduce millets in meals on a regular basis. Millets will also be extensively used in various functions and events of CAPFs and NDRF.
- Millets will be made available in Kendriya Police Kalyan Bhandar, grocery shops of the campuses, and ration stores by setting up dedicated counters and corners.
- The forces will organize training of cooks in preparing millets based dishes through reputed institutes in this field.
- The United Nations has declared 2023 as the International Year of Millets recognizing the importance of millets and creating domestic and global demand along with providing nutritious food to the people, at the behest of the Government of India.
- Millets are a good source of proteins, gluten-free, low in Glycemic Index (GI) and rich in dietary fiber, micronutrients including calcium, iron, phosphorus etc., and phyto-chemicals.
- The campaign of Prime Minister Narendra Modi to promote Shree Anna will fulfill the nutritional requirements of crores of people of the country.
- International Year of Millets (IYOM) – 2023 will provide an opportunity to increase global production, efficient processing, and better use of crop rotation and promote millets as a major component of the food basket.
Question : The United Nations has declared 2023 as the International Year of _ _ _ _ _ _ .
a) Youth Development
Ans : b) Millets