National Education Day is observed on November 11 to commemorate the birth anniversary of Maulana Abul Kalam Azad, India’s first Minister for Education.
- Maulana Azad made significant contributions to education and institution-building, laying the foundation for India’s modern education system.
- As India’s first Education Minister from 1947 to 1958, Maulana Azad emphasized literacy and highlighted the crucial role of teachers in shaping enlightened individuals.
- The day is marked by various activities such as seminars, essay-writing, workshops, and rallies, emphasizing the importance of education in fostering intellectual growth and national development.
- Maulana Azad’s vision, captured in the quote, “The purpose of education is to make good human beings with skill and expertise… Enlightened human beings can be created by teachers,” is celebrated on this day.
- Educational institutions across India participate in celebrating National Education Day, reinforcing the commitment to learning and progress.
Q.: Who is commemorated on National Education Day observed on November 11?
a) Mahatma Gandhi
b) Jawaharlal Nehru
c) Maulana Abul Kalam Azad
d) Sardar Patel
Ans : c) Maulana Abul Kalam Azad
Q.: What role did Maulana Abul Kalam Azad play in India’s history?
a) First Prime Minister
b) First President
c) First Education Minister
d) First Chief Justice
Ans : c) First Education Minister