- Centre government informs Supreme Court on 11th April 2023, that a new data protection bill is ready and will be introduced in the Monsoon session of Parliament.
- Attorney General R Venkatramani informs a Constitution bench headed by Justice KM Joseph that the bill is ready.
- The bench comprising justices Ajay Rastogi, Aniruddha Bose, Hrishikesh Roy, and C T Ravikumar takes note of the submission.
- The matter is directed to be placed before Chief Justice DY Chandrachud so that a new bench can be constituted as Justice Joseph is set to retire on June 16.
- The matter has been posted for hearing in the first week of August 2023.
- Senior advocate Shyam Divan, appearing for the petitioners, submits that the court should not link the court hearings to the legislative process.
- Divan states that the legislative process is complex and it may be again referred to some committees.
Question : Presently, Who is the Attorney General of India ?
a) R Venkatramani
b) Soli Jehangir Sorabjee
c) Mukul Rohatgi
d) DY Chandrachud
Ans : a) R Venkatramani