Parliament has passed the Government of National Capital Territory of Delhi (Amendment) Bill 2023, with Rajya Sabha’s approval on 7 August 2023.
- The approval in Rajya Sabha was granted through a vote, with 131 MPs supporting the bill and 102 MPs opposing it.
- The Bill had previously been passed in the Lok Sabha the week before.
- The primary purpose of the bill is to amend the Government of National Capital Territory of Delhi Act 1991.
- It grants the Central Government the authority to establish regulations related to the governance of the Government of National Capital Territory of Delhi. This includes matters such as the functions, terms, and conditions of service for officers and employees.
- The bill introduces the concept of the National Capital Civil Service Authority.
- The Authority is comprised of the Delhi Chief Minister, the Chief Secretary of Delhi, and the Principal Home Secretary of Delhi.
- The Authority’s responsibilities encompass making recommendations to the Delhi Lieutenant Governor concerning the transfer, posting, and disciplinary issues involving officials.
- The Centre had previously issued an ordinance on this subject in May of the same year.
Q.: What is the main purpose of the Government of National Capital Territory of Delhi (Amendment) Bill 2023?
a) To establish a new political party in Delhi
b) To amend the Indian Constitution
c) To empower the Central Government to make rules for Delhi’s administration
d) To grant more powers to the local government in Delhi
Ans : c) To empower the Central Government to make rules for Delhi’s administration