The New and Renewable Energy Minister, R. K. Singh, informed on 1 August 2023 that the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Urja Suraksha evam Utthaan Mahabhiyan (PM-KUSUM) scheme has benefitted nearly 2.46 lakh farmers.
- The scheme provides various benefits, including installation of solar pumps, solarization of existing grid-connected agricultural pumps, and installation of grid-connected renewable power plants.
- The PM-KUSUM Scheme has been extended till 31st March 2026.
- The initiative aims to provide clean energy to over 3.5 million farmers by solarizing their agriculture pumps and facilitating the setup of 10 GW distributed solar projects.
- The main objective of the PM-KUSUM scheme is to provide financial and water security to farmers.
- Farmers will receive a 60% subsidy for setting up tube wells and pump sets, and they will also get 30% of the total cost as a loan from the Government.
- The scheme offers farmers the opportunity to earn additional income by selling surplus power to the grid through solar power projects set up on their barren lands.
- This scheme was launched on 08 March 2019.
Q.: What is the full form of PM-KUSUM, an initiative by the Government of India aimed at providing clean energy solutions to farmers?
A) Pradhan Mantri Kheti Urja Suraksha evam Utthaan Mahabhiyan
B) Pradhan Mantri Kisan Urja Suraksha evam Upkaran Mahabhiyan
C) Pradhan Mantri Kheti Urja Subsidy evam Utthaan Mahabhiyan
D) Pradhan Mantri Kisan Urja Suraksha evam Utthaan Mahabhiyan
Answer: D) PM-KUSUM: Pradhan Mantri Kisan Urja Suraksha evam Utthaan Mahabhiyan