- The government has decided that now all the states will not only celebrate their own foundation day, but also those of other states.
- This tradition has been started to promote the spirit of Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat.
- The foundation day of all the states will now be celebrated in all the Raj Bhavans of the country.
- Gujarat and Maharashtra are celebrating their statehood day on 1st May 2023. States and Union Territories are celebrating the foundation day of Gujarat and Maharashtra in their respective Raj Bhavans.
- Residents of Gujarat and Maharashtra have also been invited to the Raj Bhavan to celebrate the day along with other states. Cultural programs and speeches by participants from both the states have also been planned during the event.
Gujarat Day :
Gujarat is celebrating its formation day on May 1, when it was carved out as a separate state in 1960 following the bifurcation of the erstwhile Bombay State on linguistic grounds. Maharashtra was also formed on the same day to meet the demand of Marathi speaking people. Both the states were created through the Bombay Reorganization Act, 1960. Since then, the state’s foundation day is celebrated with great enthusiasm.
Maharashtra Day :
Maharashtra Day, commonly known as Maharashtra Din, is a state holiday in the Indian state of Maharashtra, commemorating the formation of the state of Maharashtra in India on 1st May 1960 from the bifurcation of Bombay State. Maharashtra Day is usually associated with parades and political. Speeches and ceremonies, besides many other public and private events celebrating the history and traditions of Maharashtra. It is celebrated to commemorate the creation of the Marathi speaking state of Maharashtra.
Qns : Which states are celebrating their statehood days on 1st May?
(A) Gujarat and Maharashtra
(B) Tamil Nadu and Kerala
(C) Punjab and Haryana
(D) Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh
Answer : (A) Gujarat and Maharashtra
Qns : What is the name of the initiative launched by the Indian government to promote unity among the states?
(A) Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat
(B) Sabka Saath Sabka Vikas
(C) Digital India
(D) Swachh Bharat Abhiyan
Answer : (A) Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat