Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL) has handed over the first Radio Frequency (RF) Seeker of Akash – the Next Generation Weapon System to the Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) on 2nd August 2023 in a special ceremony at BDL’s Kanchanbagh, Hyderabad.
- The RF Seeker is a critical and technology-intensive subsystem used in Surface-to-Air Missiles and Air-to-Air Missiles for target tracking in the terminal phase.
- The RF Seeker has been designed by DRDO’s Research Centre Imarat and produced by BDL at its state-of-the-art Seeker Facility Centre in Hyderabad.
- The Seeker Facility Centre was set up at BDL’s Kanchanbagh Unit in Hyderabad.
- The Chairman and Managing Director of BDL, Commodore A Madhavarao, handed over the 1st RF Seeker to the Secretary, the Department of Defence Research & Development and Chairman DRDO, Dr Samir V Kamat, in a special ceremony at BDL’s Kanchanbagh Unit.
- Dr Kamat highlighted that the establishment of the Seeker Facility Centre at BDL has enabled India to achieve self-reliance in the field of RF seeker production, contributing significantly to the goal of Atmanirbhar Bharat (self-reliant India).
Q.: What is the Radio Frequency (RF) Seeker used for in missiles?
a) Initial phase tracking
b) Mid-course phase tracking
c) Terminal phase target tracking
d) Intercepting enemy missiles
Ans : c) Terminal phase target tracking