The Bihar Assembly passed a unanimous amendment bill on November 9, 2023, to increase the reservation quota in state government jobs for Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes, Extremely Backward Caste, and other Backward Castes from 50% to 65%.
- The decision to increase the reservation quota was prompted by the Caste Based Survey 2022, which revealed a need for adjustments in proportion to the population increase of SCs, STs, EBCs, and Backward Castes.
- The new reservation paradigm proposed by the bill allocates 18% for Backward Castes, 25% for Extremely Backward Castes, 20% for Scheduled Castes, and 2% for Scheduled Tribes.
- The 10% reservation quota for Economically Weaker Sections (EWS) among the general category remains unchanged. The total reservation limit is now effectively 75%, leaving 25% unreserved.
- The Bihar Reservation Amendment Bill was introduced by State Parliamentary Affairs Minister Vijay Kumar Choudhary, and Chief Minister Nitish Kumar expressed gratitude to the BJP for supporting the bill. The government aims to implement the changes swiftly.
- Additionally, the Lower House passed a unanimous Amendment Bill to increase the reservation quota for admission in government educational institutions to 65% for SCs, STs, EBCs, and other BCs, aligning with the reservation pattern in government jobs for these castes.
Q.: What is the percentage increase in the reservation quota for government jobs proposed by the Bihar Assembly Amendment Bill passed on November 9, 2023?
a. 50% to 55%
b. 55% to 60%
c. 50% to 65%
d. 65% to 70%
Ans : c. 50% to 65%
Q.: What was the reason behind the decision to increase the reservation quota in Bihar government jobs ?
a. Economic growth
b. Caste Based Survey 2022
c. Political considerations
d. International pressure
Ans : b. Caste Based Survey 2022