Road Transport and Highways Minister Nitin Gadkari said on 27 June 2023, that the use of FASTags has resulted in savings of 70 thousand crore rupees in wasted fuel expenses caused by waiting at toll plazas.
- FASTag, which utilizes Radio-frequency Identification technology, has been made mandatory for vehicles since January 2021.
- The introduction of FASTag has led to a significant increase in toll collection revenue.
- Revenues from tolls rose to 41 thousand 342 crore rupees in 2022-23 from four thousand 770 crore rupees in 2013-14.
- The government aims to increase toll revenue to one lakh 30 thousand crore rupees by 2030.
- The total length of National Highways in the country has increased by about 59 percent in the last nine years.
- India now has the second-largest road network, after the US, as a result of this expansion.
Question : What technology is utilized by FASTags to provide a smooth cross-over at toll plazas?
a) GPS technology
b) Bluetooth technology
c) Radio-frequency Identification technology
d) Magnetic stripe technology
Answer: c) Radio-frequency Identification technology