Greece’s conservative New Democracy party, led by Kyriakos Mitsotakis, has won the parliamentary election on 25 June 2023.
- New Democracy secured 40.5% of the vote and 158 seats in the 300-seat parliament, according to interior ministry figures.
- Syriza, a radical leftist party that previously ran the country, suffered a significant defeat, securing less than New Democracy with a difference of over 20 points.
- Kyriakos Mitsotakis, in his victory speech, expressed that he has a “strong mandate” to bring about faster change in the country.
- Mitsotakis, a former banker, has pledged to boost revenue from tourism, generate employment, and increase wages to reach the European Union average.
- The election saw fringe parties from the political left and right, including an anti-immigrant party called the Spartans, gaining seats in Parliament.
- This election was the second in five weeks, following a previous poll on May 21 that did not result in any party securing an absolute majority in Parliament.
Who has been re-elected as the Prime Minister of Greece in the recent parliamentary election?
A) Alexis Tsipras
B) Kyriakos Mitsotakis
C) Antonis Samaras
D) Jiangbo Ning
Ans : B) Kyriakos Mitsotakis