The United Nations’s World Meteorological Organization (WMO) has warned that heatwaves and extreme weather have affected most parts of the world, including Europe, the US, and Asia.
- Sardinia in Italy could see temperatures of more than 47 degrees Celsius, and several Italian cities could reach 40 degrees.
- Heatwaves this summer have coincided with wildfires and deadly flooding in various parts of the world.
- The WMO has warned that the world needs to prepare for increasingly intense heatwaves and that the current heatwave in the northern hemisphere is set to intensify.
- Temperatures in North America, Asia, North Africa, and the Mediterranean are expected to be above 40 degrees Celsius for a prolonged period this week.
- Overnight minimum temperatures are also expected to reach new highs, increasing the risk of heart attacks and deaths.
Q.: Which organization issued a warning about the impact of heatwaves and extreme weather worldwide?
a) World Health Organization (WHO)
b) World Meteorological Organization (WMO)
c) United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
d) International Panel on Climate Change (IPCC)
Ans : b) World Meteorological Organization (WMO)