India achieved the second rank at the 16th International Olympiad on Astronomy and Astrophysics (IOAA) held in Chorzów, Poland from August 10 to August 20, 2023.
- India secured four Gold Medals and one Silver Medal in the competition.
- The United Kingdom secured the lead with five Gold Medals.
- The Olympiad saw the participation of 236 students from 50 nations, collectively earning a total of 27 gold, 41 silver, and 50 bronze medals across all categories.
- Gold medals were awarded to Rajdeep Mishra from Kota, Rajasthan, Koduru Tejeswar from Kurnool, Andhra Pradesh, Md. Sahil Akhtar from Kolkata, West Bengal, and Akarsh Raj Sahay from Nagpur, Maharashtra.
- Sainavaneet Mukund from Bangalore, Karnataka received a silver medal.
- The Indian team was guided by Prof. Surhud More from IUCAA, Pune, and Pritesh Ranadive from HBCSE-TIFR, Mumbai.
Question: In the 16th International Olympiad on Astronomy and Astrophysics (IOAA) held in Poland, India secured which rank and how many medals?
A) First rank with four Gold and one Silver Medal
B) Second rank with five Gold and one Silver Medal
C) Second rank with four Gold and one Silver Medal
D) Third rank with three Gold and two Silver Medals
Answer: C) Second rank with four Gold and one Silver Medal