The 27th edition of the multilateral naval exercise Malabar 2023 has concluded in Sydney, Australia on 21 August 2023. Malabar 2023 is a multilateral naval exercise involving the navies of India, USA, Japan and Australia, also known as the Quad. The exercise aims to enhance the cooperation, coordination and interoperability among the participating nations in the Indo-Pacific region. The exercise was held from 11 to 21 August 2023.
- The exercise involved participation from the Indian Navy, Royal Australian Navy, Japan Maritime Self-Defence Force, and the US Navy.
- Representing the Indian Navy were the indigenously built Destroyer INS Kolkata, Frigate INS Sahyadri, and P8I Maritime Patrol Aircraft.
- The sea phase of the Malabar exercise included complex and high-intensity exercises in air, surface, and undersea domains, as well as weapon firings and cross-deck helicopter operations.
- The MALABAR series of maritime exercises began in 1992 as a bilateral exercise between the Indian Navy and the US Navy.
- Over the years, it has expanded to include participation from four prominent navies in the Indo-Pacific Region.
Question: Which naval exercise recently concluded its 27th edition in Sydney, Australia, involving multiple countries’ navies?
A) Operation Trident
B) Exercise Blue Waters
C) Exercise Malabar 2023
D) Operation Pacific Unity
Answer: C) Exercise Malabar 2023