The Indian Army celebrated ‘Shaurya Diwas’ on October 27, 2023, in Jammu and Kashmir. ‘Shaurya Diwas’ marks the 76th anniversary of the landing of Indian forces in Kashmir, ensuring the first civil-military victory of Independent India.
- The Army troops landed at Budgam Airport a day after the signing of the Instrument of Accession between Maharaja Hari Singh and the Republic of India.
- During the celebrations, a historical reenactment of the landing and events was performed to honor the brave soldiers and the people of Jammu & Kashmir.
- The reenactment covered the violation of the ‘Standstill Agreement’ by Pakistan and the arrival of Indian Army soldiers on October 27, 1947, to evict Pakistani Forces.
- Major Somnath Sharma, the first Param Vir Chakra recipient, led his company despite being injured and saved the Srinagar airfield from Pakistani tribals, sacrificing his life.
- Tributes were paid to other brave individuals, including Brigadier Rajinder Singh and Lieutenant Colonel Dewan Ranjit Rai, who also made sacrifices to protect the nation.
Question: Who was the first recipient of the Param Vir Chakra?
a) General Manekshaw
b) Major Somnath Sharma
c) Lieutenant Colonel Dewan Ranjit Rai
d) Brigadier Rajinder Singh
Answer: b) Major Somnath Sharma