India achieved a historic feat by becoming the first country to successfully land on the South Pole of the lunar surface. The Vikram lander executed a flawless touchdown near the lunar south pole on 23 August 2023.
- This achievement is significant as it marks a breakthrough in India’s space exploration efforts.
- The Automatic Landing Sequence (ALS) was initiated by ISRO for the Vikram Landing Module, enabling it to identify a suitable landing spot and perform a soft landing.
- The landing was a moment of anxiety for 20 minutes before the successful touch, followed by celebrations and jubilation among the ISRO team.
- ISRO Chairman S Somnath expressed gratitude and emphasized that the success was a result of lessons learned from past failures.
- The focus now shifts to the Chandrayaan-3 lander and Rover, with plans for the Rover Pragyan to roll down after reviewing data from the lander.
- The Project Director of Chandrayaan 3 mission, P Veeramuthuvel, credited the team’s hard work and hailed the flawless touchdown as a demonstration of India’s soft landing capabilities.
- The Mission Director, M Sreekanth, thanked the entire ISRO team for successfully accomplishing the challenging task of soft landing on the lunar surface.
- After the Vikram lander’s soft landing, ISRO established communication between the Chandrayaan-3 Lander and MOX-ISTRAC, Bengaluru.
- Images captured by the Lander Horizontal Velocity Camera during descent were shared on social media by ISRO, revealing the lunar surface at close proximity.
Q.: Which country recently achieved the historic feat by becoming the first country to successfully land on the South Pole of the lunar surface?
c) United States
Ans : India