The National High-Speed Rail Corporation Limited (NHSRCL) has signed a contract with Afcons Infrastructure Limited for the construction of India’s first undersea railway tunnel. The tunnel will be 21 km long and will pass through Thane Creek (Ramsar Site) near Mumbai. Approximately 7 km of the tunnel will be located under the sea. The tunnel is part of the Mumbai-Ahmedabad bullet train project.
The construction of the tunnel is considered one of the most challenging contracts of the Mumbai-Ahmedabad high-speed corridor. Three Tunnel Boring Machines (TBMs) and the new Austrian tunnelling method will be used for the construction of the tunnel. The tunnel will connect the underground station at Bandra-Kurla Complex with Shilphata in Thane, accommodating twin tracks for the up and down routes. The depth of the tunnel will range from 25 to 65 meters below ground level. The 21-km tunnel will be located between the underground station at Bandra Kurla Complex (BKC) and Shilphata in Maharashtra.
Mumbai-Ahmedabad High-Speed Rail Corridor (MAHSR)
The Mumbai-Ahmedabad High-Speed Rail Corridor (MAHSR) is an upcoming high-speed rail line connecting Mumbai, Maharashtra, with Ahmedabad, Gujarat. It is currently under construction and will be India’s first high-speed rail line. The project aims to link the economic and financial hub of Mumbai with Ahmedabad, the largest city in Gujarat. Once completed, the MAHSR will provide a fast and efficient transportation option between these two major cities.
Thane Creek Ramsar Site
- Thane Creek Ramsar Site is a designated wetland of international importance located in Maharashtra, India.
- It was recognized as a Ramsar Site in 2018, joining the list of globally significant wetlands.
- The site covers approximately 1,690 hectares and includes diverse habitats such as mudflats, mangroves, salt pans, marshes, and creeks.
- Thane Creek Ramsar Site is known for its rich biodiversity, supporting over 203 bird species, including migratory waterbirds.
- The site plays a crucial ecological role in providing nesting and breeding grounds for birds, supporting marine and terrestrial ecosystems, and contributing to climate regulation and water purification.
Question : Where will India’s first undersea railway tunnel be constructed as part of the Mumbai-Ahmedabad bullet train project?
A) Near Mumbai city center
B) Across the Arabian Sea
C) Thane Creek
D) Bandra-Kurla Complex
Answer: C) Thane Creek