Japan launched the lunar lander “SLIM” on September 7, 2023. Japan aims to become the fifth nation to achieve a soft landing on the moon’s surface. The launch used an H-IIA rocket.
- India had recently succeeded in a similar lunar mission.
- SLIM is on a long route to the Moon, with a landing expected in four to five months.
- The spacecraft will spend the first month in Earth’s orbit before heading to the moon.
- It will make orbital maneuvers over three to four months before preparing for landing.
- The landing is expected to occur between January and February of the following year.
- SLIM is a light and small spacecraft developed by Mitsubishi Electric.
- One mission goal is to demonstrate precision landing technology.
- The lander will use vision-based navigation to identify a landing spot and avoid surface obstacles.
Question: Which nation launched the lunar lander “SLIM” on September 7, 2023, with the aim of achieving a soft landing on the moon’s surface?
A) China B) India C) Japan D) Russia
Answer: C) Japan