- Tokyo Olympics gold medalist Neeraj Chopra has become the world number one player in the latest rankings of men’s javelin throw released by World Athletics on 22 May 2023.
- Neeraj Chopra topped the table with 1455 points, 22 points ahead of Anderson Peters of Granada. The Indian javelin legend had achieved world no. 2 ranking on August 30, 2022 but has been trailing world champion Peters since then.
- In September 2022, Neeraj Chopra became the first Indian athlete to lift the prestigious Diamond League trophy by winning the Diamond League 2022 final in Zurich.
- Neeraj Chopra, who holds the Indian national record in men’s javelin throw, returned from the season-opening Doha Diamond League on 5 May 2023 and finished first with a throw of 88.67m. Anderson Peters had finished third in the Doha meet with a throw of 85.88m.
World Athletics Javelin Throw Top-5 Ranking (Men)
By May, 2023
- Neeraj Chopra (India) – 1,455 points
- Anderson Peters (Grenada) – 1,433 points
- Jakub Wadljech (Czech Republic) – 1,416 points
- Julian Weber (Germany) – 1,385 points
- Arshad Nadeem (Pakistan) – 1,306 points
Qns : On 22 May 2023, who became the world No. 1 player in the men’s javelin throw rankings?
(A) Anderson Peters
(B) Rohit Yadav
(C) Arshad Nadeem
(D) Neeraj Chopra
Ans : (D) Neeraj Chopra