No-confidence motion against NDA government led by Prime Minister Narendra Modi defeated in Lok Sabha on 10 August 2023.
- NDA’s comfortable victory with a voice vote after over 12 hours of debate.
- Opposition accuses government of failing on promises regarding farmers’ distress, unemployment, price rise, corruption, and communal violence.
- Government defends achievements in infrastructure, health, education, defence, and social welfare.
- Prime Minister assures support for Manipur and efforts to address the situation.
- Opposition parties supporting the motion include Congress, TMC, SP, BSP, RJD, NCP, AAP, CPI(M), CPI, AIMIM, and DMK.
- Parties opposing the motion include BJP, Shiv Sena, JD(U), AIADMK, BJD, TRS, and YSRCP.
- Congress president Rahul Gandhi attacks Prime Minister on various issues and creates a stir by hugging him.
- Prime Minister responds by accusing opposition of spreading lies and fear, lacking vision for development, and emphasizing his government’s work for welfare and progress in India.
Q.: How did the NDA defeat the no-confidence motion in the Lok Sabha?
A) By a voice vote
B) By a division vote
C) By a walkout
D) By a secret ballot
Ans : A) By a voice vote