Narges Mohammadi, an Iranian human rights activist, has been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for 2023. She is recognized for her dedicated efforts in fighting against the oppression of women in Iran.
- Despite her Nobel recognition, she remains incarcerated, making her the 19th woman to win the Nobel Peace Prize while in jail.
- Narges Mohammadi is one of the prominent human rights activists in Iran.
- She has a history of 13 arrests, five convictions, and a cumulative prison sentence of 31 years along with 154 lashes.
- The Norwegian Nobel Committee decided to honor Narges Mohammadi for her advocacy of women’s rights and her commitment to promoting human rights and freedom for all.
- The Nobel Peace Prize for 2023 is valued at approximately 1 million US dollars.
- The award ceremony is scheduled to take place in Oslo on December 10th, which coincides with the death anniversary of Alfred Nobel, the founder of the Nobel Prizes.
Q.: Why was Narges Mohammadi awarded the Nobel Peace Prize 2023?
a) For her contributions to literature
b) For her fight against the oppression of women in Iran
c) For her achievements in science and technology
d) For her work in the field of environmental conservation
Ans : b) For her fight against the oppression of women in Iran