The ‘Road Accidents in India- 2022’ report reveals alarming statistics for the year 2022:
4,61,312 road accidents,
1,80,491 fatalities, and
These numbers represent an increase of 11.9%, 9.4%, and 15.3% respectively compared to the previous year (2021).
- National Highways accounted for 32.9% of total accidents and 36.2% of casualties in 2022. State roads were responsible for 23.1% of accidents and 24.3% of casualties, while other roads had 43.9% of accidents and 39.4% of deaths.
- On average, there were 1,264 accidents and 462 deaths every day, or 53 accidents and 19 deaths every hour in India in 2022.
- In 2022, Tamil Nadu had the highest number of accidents (64,105), representing 13.9% of the total accidents. Other states with high accident numbers included Uttar Pradesh, Maharashtra, Gujarat, Rajasthan, and Andhra Pradesh.
- Major factors contributing to road accidents include speeding, drunken driving, non-adherence to traffic rules, road infrastructure issues, and inadequate enforcement mechanisms.
- The Ministry of Road and Transport has devised a multi-pronged strategy involving education, engineering for roads and vehicles, enforcement, and emergency care to reduce road accidents.
- Various media platforms are used to raise awareness about road safety and traffic rules, and the government has introduced measures like mandatory airbags, Anti-Lock Braking Systems (ABS), speed limits, inspection and certification centers, vehicle scrapping policies, and automated testing stations to enhance safety.
- The Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Act, 2019, introduced strict penalties to deter violations of safety rules.
- Compensation for victims of hit-and-run motor accidents has been increased significantly.
- The National Highways Authority of India has provided ambulances with paramedical staff and Emergency Medical Technicians at toll plazas along the entire National Highways corridor to improve emergency response and save lives.
Q.: What was the average daily number of road accidents in India in 2022?
a) 537 accidents per day
b) 1,264 accidents per day
c) 712 accidents per day
d) 953 accidents per day
Ans : b) 1,264 accidents per day
Q.: Which state reported the highest number of road accidents in 2022?
a) Uttar Pradesh
c) Tamil Nadu
Ans : c) Tamil Nadu